Diploma in Forestry
The curriculum is based on the development of both effective and efficient forestry service providers as professionals for fulfilling the present forestry needs of people with its socio-cultural impacts on national and community forest management. The approach will focus on addressing second-generation issues of present forestry sector such as community forestry management, soil conservation, and watershed management, wildlife and protected area management, etc.
This field has been helping the world for the overall development and it has been creating wage and self-employment opportunities both in the public and private sectors. This curriculum is designed with the purpose of producing middle-level forestry technical human resources required for livelihood improvement of the community through the participatory methods in association with the community forestry user groups.
The knowledge and skills incorporated in this curriculum will be helpful to deliver the individual needs as well as national needs in the field of Forestry including community forestry,soil conservation, watershed management,wild life conservation, protected area management etc.
This curriculum of Diploma in Forestry has the following objectives to:
• To prepare forestry technicians who are able to work as a ranger in different level of forestry-related government and non-government organizations;
• To produce technical resources to work in public and private forests as well as in protected areas
• To develop competency in forestry enterprises
• To provide extensive field-based experiences to meet specific and growing needs of different forestry stakeholders
• At least grade C in any two subjects i.e. Compulsory Mathematics, Compulsory Science or English
and D+ in the remaining subjects in Secondary Education Examination (SEE) or equivalent from recognized academic institutions.
• The student should qualify in the entrance examination administered by CTEVT.
• Final selection will be made on the basis of merit list.
• Student quota for different categories will be according to CTEVT policy.
Candidates will submit the following documents at the time of application:
• SLC/TSLC/SEE passed certificate Or equivalent
• Character certificate
• Birth certificate or citizenship certificate(for the verification of students name, parent’s name, age, date of birth and address)
• Medium of Instruction- The medium of instruction will be in English and/or Nepali.
• Course Duration – The duration of the course will be for three years. The first-year courses are termed as core courses and the second and third-year courses as applied courses. One academic year consists of a maximum of 39 academic weeks. In these 39 weeks, students will attend internal theory, practical classes, and final exams. Remaining 13 weeks in the year, they will go for summer/ winter and other festival vacation and one academic week consists of a maximum of 40 hours.
• Group Size – 40 students in one batch
• Medium of Instruction: The medium of instruction will be in English and/or Nepali.
• Attendance Policy – The students should secure at least 90 percent of attendance during the course in the classroom and 95 percent attendance at the fieldwork to appear in annual and final examinations.• Pass Marks: The students should secure40% in theory examination and 60% in practical examination.
• Distinction: 80% and above
• First division: 65% to below 80%
• Pass division: 40% in theory and 60% in practical
Degree and Certificate
The council for technical education and vocational training will award certificates in ‘Diploma in Forestry’ to the candidates who successfully complete the requirements as prescribed by the CTEVT. After graduation of this course, students will be eligible to join the Bachelor’s Degree in the University of Agriculture and Forestry.
After completion of this course, the graduates have high chances of getting a job as Forestry Technician in local government, the provincial government, and federal government via the Public Service Commission
(LokSewaAayog) and other NGOs and NGOs, in banking sectors in Nepal and abroad.
This course is based on the job required to be performed by a middle-level forestry technician in different forestry institutions of Nepal. The Diploma in Forestry extends over 3 years. The first year focuses on basic sciences and fundamental subjects related to forestry, the second year focuses on forestry-related disciplinary subjects, and the third year insists on disciplinary subjects as well as the application of learned skills and knowledge through the Field Practice. The foundational subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, and Mathematics being offered in the diffusion model of the curricular programs are applicable in the field of Forestry. It also includes language subjects like Nepali and English applicable to communication in the same area. The course structure and the subject wise content that reflects the details of this curriculum. In brief, this curriculum will guide to produce competent and highly employable middle-level technical workforce in the field of forestry.